Saturday, January 10, 2009

style icon



There are people who dress up and there are people who dress down. There are people who dress badly and people who dress inappropriately. Some dress blindly or cheaply, and there are those who barely dress at all. There are people who wear costumes, and people who wear uniforms. There’s fancy dress and armor, clothes that say, “Come here” or “Stand back,” that whisper, “Trust me” or “Respect me,” that shout, “Fear me.” But there are very few people, just a handful, who have a relationship with their clothes like Daphne Guinness. The Guinness heir and fashion muse doesn’t dress up or down. She dresses out. Her clothes don’t say anything at all, because they’re not talking to you. They’re too entranced by Daphne Guinness. But she has never had a look, never once, never remotely, that was anyone’s but her very own. -- Vanity Fair, Aug. 2008

I've become a secret admirer of Daphne Guinness and her style. She's a wonderful fashion stylist, wealthy socialite, film producer and, yes, a member of the Guinness brewing family. Known for her elegant and original dress sense and love for couture... She seems to have streamlined her colour palette to black and white (from head-to-toe, literally!), preferring to experiment with texture and shape while firmly planting her feet in sky high platform Louboutins.




"The thing about haute couture, unlike prêt-à-porter clothing, is that you actually have to engage with the process and repeatedly go for fittings. Couture clothes last so much longer because so much work goes into them. [...] I still buy couture, but very little and very carefully, because it’s so expensive. The last piece was a small coat-dress from Chanel, which I’ve worn about 50 times already."




"I hate the concept of “must-haves”. Once something is a must-have, I want to put it in the bin. I know that sounds grand and horrid, but I don’t want anyone to tell me I need to have anything. I’m not very good at “It” bags, either. I’ve had the same bag for about five years and I can’t be bothered to get another one. So many bags are really heavy – especially those Chloé Paddington things."




glam&tonic, tfs, park avenue peerage, vanity fair

20 comments:

PinkBow said...

she's very cool isn't she & always surprises! xo

Noemi Sunshine Ferst said...

The first outfit is gorgeous.
Thank you for your lovely comments.
Have a great weekend.
xx.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post, I must say I love her style too.

Mel Carrey said...

Perfect post! People need to have more fun with clothes. Society thinks too much, judges too quickly. Have fun!!

Anonymous said...

i love all her shoes!!

WendyB said...

I enjoy her style.

Unknown said...

I saw her at a party in Paris and i was so in awe of her. I couldn't stop watching her all night.

Shes Dressing Up said...

I love her style, and her hair!

Girl Next Blog said...

I think she's stylish and her outfits are cool, but I can't stand her hair - she looks like Cruella DeVil haha

xx

Anonymous said...

I love her style.
Those quotes were very interesting to read. Thanks!
I wish I could buy couture!

yiqin; said...

She is so awesome. I love her hair colors

Nil said...

I know she is amazing!! I love everything about her

Anonymous said...

Awesome choice, she's fearless!
PS. I tag you!

The beautiful and glammed said...

love the first outfit, the platforms are fierce! xxx

i.d. said...

I love her style - and that second quote, how refreshing! xx

Nike Forrest said...

lol shes right, and her style is so live

Liz Lizo said...

goodness I adore her.

{klaudia} said...

that second to last pic is to die for. the knee highs & shoes = Love.

great blog.

Anonymous said...

Im loving her style she just needs to eat something lol. The Christian shoes are hott to death!

Tereza Š. said...

love her